Wednesday, January 24, 2007

TRAINING


(Whisp wearing her size xxxxs 'In Training' vest...much too big for her. Photo taken 21Aug06)




TRAINING


27 September 2006 At this point Whisp's training is informal, at home or while out with me. She has learned to sit quietly, no begging for food when I am eating. She waits until her dog dish is placed in front of her and does not try to steal food from any of the other dogs. She sits and waits for her treat as the older dogs do and she doesn't worry that I am going to forget to give her her treat.

Whisp rides quietly in the truck or in the pouch against my chest when I am using my wheelchair.

Commands Whisp knows, although these are not as yet reliable:
Come
Sit
Up Couch
No
No Bite
Mine

Whisp's housebreaking is nearly complete. She either goes outside or uses a puppy paper by the door. She cries to go outside when she is crated. She wakes about 12:30-1:30A to go outside and then is able to sleep until 7:30-8A. I am pleased with her toileting progress.

I think that toilet training small dogs is a little harder than big dogs. Their messes are much smaller and aren't as easily noticed, they themselves are much faster thus harder to catch 'in the act' and because the are small they think that they have gone a good distance from their little perspective as they may have gone 75 of their paces and only made it to the back door where as a large dog could easily cover the same distance in 10 paces....


28 September 2006, last night Whisp asked to go outside at 10p and slept until 7:30A...a first!She is first to the door when I call the dogs to go outside and I've seen her turning fast circles at the door to indicate that she wants to go outside. The temperature this morning was 42 degrees and Whisp didn't seem to notice it at all. She loves to be outside running and exploring. I have knit her two sweaters so far for when the temperatures drop further. Whisp appears to be well on her way to being totally housebroken...no accidents in the house in more than two weeks now.


6 October 2006, running the risk of "jinxing" Whisp...I now consider her housebroken. She has not had an accident in the house in more than 3 weeks despite Lily's toileting indiscretions. Lily I am also glad to say has stopped that foolishness and is now asking to go outside too. I had been expecting Whisp to have a set back with her housebreaking but it was for naught.


14 October 2006, the weather here in Minnesota has taken an abrupt turn toward winter with a couple of nights dropping into the low 20's. After a couple of cold nights I finally relented and turned on the heat in the house. Whisp has been staying warm wearing one of her many hand knit sweaters or her new polar fleece hoodie and if that isn't enough she just nestles in with the pack on the couch. Whisp has maintained her housebreaking with no accidents despite the cold temps outside when the small pack members head outside. During the day if she needs to "go" she uses the puppy paper by the door in the laundry room....good girl!! When the weather becomes really cold Whisp will be staying inside as she is so tiny it wouldn't take much for her to "freeze up" and tip over, something my Chihuahuas and Miniature Pincher did when they get too cold. I am no longer able bodied, not able to sprint outside and scoop little Whisp up should she get too cold. Thus, as a precaution, Whisp will use a puppy paper over the winter months.


30 October 2006, tonight I signed Whisp up for Level I Obedience with Maureen, a Certified Pet Dog Trainer (CPDT) certified thru Certification Council for Pet Dog Trainers one of the nationally recognized certifications for dog trainers. She is also an actively involved professional member of Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT). This means that she advocates and uses gentle, dog friendly methods of training (like clicker training) and is able to communicate with other APDT members through out the country and abroad on a daily basis if questions arise or to talk about training. Whisp's classes are for 6 weeks beginning in December 2006.

4 November 2006, Whisp is now reliable on these commands:
Come
Sit
Up Couch
Up House (get into crate)
No
No Bite*
Mine
Off (get down)

New Commands, not yet reliable:
Down
Stay


Whisp does not: jump on to nor jump at nor stand up and put her feet on humans begging to be touched.

*Whisp does not put her teeth on humans even in play.


2 December 2006, Today was Whisp's first day in Level 1 Obedience class. The trainer, Maureen enthusiastically uses positive re-enforcement. The training room was very cold for humans and dogs alike. Whisp sat on her little polar fleece blanket on the training mat for most of this first class, we worked on focus as well as sit, while I sat on an inappropriate canvas sling chair so that I could at least reach Whisp to give her her treats. I moved Whisp to the seat of my wheelchair for the "down" portion and she seemed very content to just be down for the rest of the class. She certainly has her long sit and long down pat.

I am going to have to modify and adapt the homework. I automatically "click" with my tongue rather than use the word "yes", that Maureen is asking the students to use, to mark the behavior I want to capture. I am not going to change to her 'word' as clicking is second nature to me and works for us and that is what is important. I am going to continue to use the commands that I am used to - some differ from Maureen's and that is okay.

Of course Whisp is the tiniest dog in class. There is a rat terrier but it weighs about 9 lbs and is a little shorter in height than SmokeyHaze.

This should be an interesting class. I hope, with a warm coat on Whisp (and me) that Whisp will want to move around in class next week instead of just sitting on her little blanket.

Whisp is reliable on these commands: down, stay
New Command: look (focus on me)


10 December 2006, Whisp second class went very well. We both dressed a bit warmer although the temperature outside was unseasonably warm for December in MN. We worked behind a visual barrier so that Whisp would relax and focus on what I was asking her to do as well as move around. I had set down her little blanket but soon noticed that she wasn't moving off it. I removed the blanket and she had to work on the training mat. Oh, we also had an electric heater which Whisp liked. She moved around, peeking under the visual barrier. The area was too small for me to move but a little forward and a little backward in the wheelchair. I hope to be able to work with Whisp along side the wheelchair by the next class period. My house is too small for my wheelchair so we will try working up in the alley while the weather stays so warm.

Whisp is nearly reliable on this command: look (focus on me)
New Command: help (come to me immediately- right now!)



17 December 2006, Whisp and I had a lot of fun at class yesterday. Our trainer introduced us to walking on a leash - a new way and I learned a lot. Whisp was no longer behind a visual barrier and was working along side the wheelchair for her sit, down, look, stay so the time I put in last week working Whisp along side my rolling desk chair paid off.

We had not been able to work with the wheelchair up in the alley even one day so I spent all our training sessions using my rolling desk chair. Whisp was able to walk right along side the chair and turned with me when I turned toward her and way from her in our journey from here to there. I had hoped it would be enough to help Whisp walk along side the wheelchair in class.

In our class yesterday walking along side the wheelchair posed a totally different problem for Whisp and me - Whisp wanted to walk between the wheels to see the dogs working in the center of the training area....EEKKK! I stopped moving and we just worked on her other commands.

When I got to thinking about Whisp and the wheelchair her behavior made sense. The wheelchair is parked in the house and she, with the other little dogs, move around and under it as they would any other piece of furniture which of course are immobile. The times Whisp has met me coming home she greets me in the kitchen so she is on the right side of the wheelchair and stays quite a distance away as I pass by on the way to parking the wheelchair in the dining room...there would be no reason for her to try to walk between the wheels because I am very close to the wall on the left side.

What had felt so daunting even one week ago no longer feels that way. I am enthused and excited about watching little Whisp blossom.

During class, Maureen took Whisp and worked with her a little on walking on the leash and then with my permission handed her off to a friend who was observing our class. Whisp was also allowed to walk out in the training area dragging her leash as the other dogs and people worked on either walking or basic commands. She was wearing her little hooded sweatshirt to keep her warm with her little harness on top of it to which I clipped her leash....she walked rather funny so I eventually took off her sweatshirt and she seemed much more comfortable as she now moved freely. Whisp did so well and I am very proud of her!

The rat terrier in the class was a no show yesterday. Last week at the end of class the rat terrier came over to see if she and Whisp would be alright as the terrier was afraid. Whisp didn't want any part of it and went under the wheelchair. It would be too bad if they dropped out as I saw such a big change in Whisp from last week to this week that they did not get a chance to experience that with their rat terrier by missing class.


19 December 2006. Yesterday, after careful planning, I went and got a piece of clear rectangular Plexiglas and drilled two holes in the upper end (long side) through which I threaded a piece of cording. Using a retractable tactical baton I hung the plexiglass and adjusted the length of the cording so that the bottom of the plexi was approx 1 inch above the floor. The plexi was wide enough to completely block the space between the front and back wheel on the left side. I laid the extended baton on the wheelchair seat cushion and with the back of my upper left thigh it is held securely in place. I took Whisp's leash and made a knotted loop at the right distance from the baton down to nearly the floor which would give Whisp slack in the leash when it is clipped to her vest.

This morning Whisp and I headed out to Petsmart. I knew that the store would be pretty empty at that hour of the day and day in the week. Once there I got everything arranged and clipped Whisp to her leash and off we went. At first I set the wheelchair speed at the slowest so that Whisp could get the hang of walking along side as well as being able to investigate all the smells and sights of the store that were now within her reach for the first time.

We spent 1 1/2 hours in the store going up and down the aisles, turning toward and away from Whisp and by the time we finished Whisp was trotting smartly along side at a brisk clip. I am so proud of her as she had gone from walking along side a very very slow wheelchair to about a fast human walking pace.


30 December 2006, I see I forgot to note Whisp's obedience class last week. Oh well. We had a great time. Today was week 5 of 6. We worked more on leave it, long sit, long down. The class was introduced to drop it by using toys in class. This is something that I will not teach Whisp. Whisp is already bringing me and trading with me for a treat or praise things she picks up from the floor. As a Service Dog this is a task that she needs to do and we are at the beginning of this and it is going well. Whisp also got to show off her loose leash walking along side the wheelchair and she did me proud. We only covered less than half the length of the training room, turning around with Whisp not missing a beat and returning to our originating spot in the room - that is quite a distance for such a little doggie.

Whisp also went over to visit with the rat terrier and her "mom" during class, a couple of times. When Maureen came around to meet and greet each one of us Whisp was seated along side me like an old hand. Maureen gave Whisp one of Whisp's tiny training treats which of course Whisp took nicely...and very willingly.

The new training schedule came out and I am disappointed that Maureen is not offering the Level 2 Obedience during early hours, so will not be able to go right on with the next block of lessons. I will check again later to see if she does offer a day time class - but even if she doesn't Whisp's training will continue.

....maybe we will sign up for the "tricks" class taught by another of the professional trainers at the same facility who also uses clicker training. But I need to mull on this one.

Commands that Whisp is solid on: long down, long sit, leave it, look, help


6 January 2007 Today was Whisp's last Level 1 Obedience class. She did very well in this class and I am pleased with how she did. Toward the end of the class today the dogs were turned loose in the training room to meet, greet and play with one another. Whisp is uncertain of these "strange" dogs and I kept her on my lap as I moved the wheelchair close to where the dogs were playing so that we could meet and greet them knowing that Whisp was protected. There were two young labs and one large lab all playing - tumbling and rolling and playing chase. The rat terrier was also a little uncertain of the exuberance of the other dogs play and stayed near her owners.

As there is no Level 2 Obedience class being offered during daylight hours I decided that Whisp is going on to Agility for Fun - a class not geared to showing in Agility but in building confidence. Agility class begins January 14th in the early afternoon for 6 weeks. This should be interesting for both Whisp and me...to say nothing of the agility instructor, Jeff.


14 January 2007 Today was Whisp's first day of Agility....we had a BLAST!!! Everyone in the class is new to agility most of the dogs have had some obedience training. I decided that I was going to work Whisp on her leash without the plexi wheel protector and holding her leash with my left hand while being extra careful and vigilant. Whisp was nervous at first and as the group was a little unruly to start off and encroached on our space Whisp growled. For most of the class Whisp was on her own 4 feet, either walking or sitting quietly by my side.

We got to work on two pieces of equipment today. First we were introduced to the dog walk ... only the two end pieces lying on the floor with the middle raised section removed. Whisp was hesitant at touching it when it came to our turn. When we were introduced to the tunnel and the explanation given those of us waiting our turn could work on the pieces of the dog walk. Whisp immediately got on the dog walk and trotted along side me to the other end with a bit of encouragement and me holding her leash. We did this 2-3 times before it was our turn at the tunnel.

The tunnel was scrunched up and held in place by PCV pipe holders. I had difficulty getting close to it but with Jeff's help we managed to encourgage Whisp close to the opening.

Then we worked on praising our dogs when Jeff dropped the end of the teeter toter again and again getting them used to the loud bang.

Jeff put the dog walk back together again and we got in line to have our dogs walk the entire length and heights of the dog walk. Whisp went the entire length with a bit of encouragement but she didn't hesitate out of fear nor did she fall off or jump to the ground when we neared the end.

We stayed after class to work a little bit with Jeff as he felt that Whisp would do better without all the other dogs. At the tunnel, Jeff removed the PCV bracing at the near end so I could get close. Whisp went right in so I zipped to the other end and called her to me and she came immediately. I took her back to the other end and in she went and I sped to the other end just in time to meet her as she came out. She looked so happy and pleased with her self and I showered her with praise and kisses...of course some yummy treats!

We then went back to the dog walk and with me holding Whisp's leash she immediately went up the ramp, crossed the flat raised center section and down the other ramp. I let go of Whisp's leash and she trotted around exploring, her ears up with her tail curved over her back. She was relaxed and enjoying herself so I went over to the dog walk. Whisp came right over and I motioned her to my left side and moved forward and up onto the dog walk Whisp went dragging her leash. I moved quickly along side the dog walk and Jeff said Whisp trotted the whole way beginning to end. I was unable to see her but felt that by me moving slightly ahead of her she would just follow me which is what she did.

It was so much fun!!!

Whisp slept all the way home. She was one little doggie. When we got home she went outside with the rest of the little dogs and now she is fast asleep in her crate for a well deserved nap.


21 January 2007 This afternoon was Whisp's second Agility Class. This little one sure amazes me. The WOW factor of last week wasn't there today because there were now 9 folks with their dogs and family members in the small training room and it was very crowded.

Today we began warming up on the dog walk and Whisp was excellent. We were unable to work with the tunnel as it had the PVC bracing on it and I couldn't get close to it with my wheelchair. Jeff asked me to come early next week so that we could work on it.

Jeff had us treating our dogs as he dropped the end of the teeter as they grow more accustomed to the sound of the board end hitting the floor when dropped.

The new equipment today were the jumps, A frame and teeter. Whisp used a jump that was at it's lowest setting and she did just fine. I think the bar was about 6" off the floor.

The A frame was lowered a bit as this was the first time for the dogs and Whisp had no trouble with it at all and we did it several times.

While waiting we also did the dog walk successfully every time.

When it was time to try the teeter Whisp was first in line and got on the teeter with no hesitation, motored quickly to the center when Jeff had me stop and mark the spot for Whisp - I clicked - then had her move forward slowing all the while treating her as he slowly lowered the board to the floor. Whisp was able to do the teeter successfully each time.

As the class was too large - Jeff only wanted 6 in the class but the computer sign up didn't close down when 6 was reached - is dividing the class. We will be switching to Saturdays instead of Sundays and I am very glad. The 3 others switching to Saturdays have well mannered dogs, two of which are very willing to do what is asked of them as Whisp does. The other dog is skittery and unsure. I don't know if we will be able to go in early to work on the tunnel, I'll ask when Jeff emails confirmation of our "new" class for Saturday.

Today's class wasn't fun for me, as it was last week, because it: was crowded; there was now a really snarky dog in the class; the unruly dogs were still unruly; people stood in the way of the jump when Whisp and I were working and I had to ask them to please give me room in which to maneuver my wheelchair; when in line, people cut infront of us as if I didn't exist like they didn't even see me in my wheelchair in line at all...not a fun class for me. I was still enthusiastically cheering for Whisp as she did as I asked despite how I personally was feeling. I had hoped for the blast I had experienced last week, that never came during this class.

I am looking forward to next class with only three other dogs, though admitedly more reserved than I had after our first class because of this second class.


27 January 2007 Today at Agility was really fun for Whisp and me as there was really lots of room for us to move. Turns out that there are only three of us in class: the Silken Windhound; the shepherd mix and Whisp.

We warmed up on the tunnel, jumps and dog walk. When class started we all did the tunnel, starting with it totally scrunched and working up to it being more extended and bent in different directions.

Teeter was next and Whisp ran right up the ramp, on my command stopped in the middle then proceeded down the ramp while I treated her, Jeff was lowering the teeter. One time near the end I moved away from the teeter and Whisp followed me jumping off the equipment just before the end. I had to consciously pay more attention to my driving so that Whisp would stay on the teeter to the very end.

The chute was introduced and Whisp went thru several times as Jeff held the far end open. After a few times thru Whisp was pushing her way thru the collapsed nylon of the far end of the chute like a pro.

We began working with the weave poles. They have an interesting way to teach this skill. The right side PCV vertical poles are mounted to a thin long metal slat. The left side PCV poles are mounted similarly on another thin long metal slat. The two are connected by a metal slat that allows them to be moved further or closer together keeping their stagger. The poles are too tall for me to be able to reach above them while guiding Whisp. When the poles were space far apart Jeff had Whisp at one end and called her to me as she ran straight between both the right and left poles. As the poles were narrowed Jeff ended up holding Whisp's leash as he could easily reach over the tops of the poles as I zipped along side calling Whisp who ran stright up the now very narrow middle. Jeff was going to make some shorter poles so that I will be able to hold Whisp's leash and clear the tops of the poles.

Whisp had a lot of fun save for two incidents. The Silken went after Whisp and Jeff talked with the owner about controlling her dog's prey drive. To think that this very owner had asked at the beginning of class if she could work her dog off leash. I am glad Jeff had said no as I probably wouldn't have Whisp unless she had been able to scoot under the wheelchair. Both occassions the Silken came from behind me out of my sight - I couldn't have protected little Whisp. On the second occassion Whisp started crying because she was so frightened. I made sure that I stayed well away from that dog.

Today Whisp learned a lot, did a lot of walking as she spent the majority of the class on her own paws and we would nearly circle half the room to get lined up for each obstacle. She slept all the way home.


29 January 2007 During Whisp's class we had a needed rest break during which I overheard the Silken's owner/handler telling Jeff about her dog, the Silken, being shown by her in Lure Coursing. I was not familiar with sight hounds or that dog sport so it did not raise any red flags with me. I talked with a friend, telling her of class and what had happened. She told me about Borzois she used to train, show and do Coursing with them and how sight hounds run down their prey, grabbing it, shaking it violently to snap the prey's neck to kill it. Silkens are a Borzoi hybrid - they look like small Borzois. and she told me what Coursing was....I was shocked!! I should have been told that that Silken was involved in that sport, what the sport consisted of so that I could make an informed decision about beginning the Agility class.

I emailed, 28Jan, Jeff expressing my concerns about the Silken and Whisp being in the same class because the Silken had gone after Whisp twice. Jeff said he had talked with the Silken's handler/owner and assured me that she will keep better track of her dog. Jeff also said that he would be sure to place himself between the Silken and Whisp and I agreed that I would keep as far away from the Silken as possible. I think that we will be able to continue with class and that there won't, I hope, be any futher incidents with the Silken.

With Jeff's assurances of keeping Whisp safe, I have agreed that Whisp and I will be in class on Saturday. I will be hyper vigilant, not relaxed as I had been, during class to make sure the Silken is no where near us. Should we have any and I mean any problems with the Silken we will not return for the rest of the classes. I feel very sad that Whisp's and my fun relaxed training time together in this class has been spoiled.

30 January 2007 After much thinking about the pros and cons of Whisp staying in class as well as my fear of the handling skills of the Silken's owner and me feeling very vulnerable, seated in the wheelchair, around large dogs that are not not under control of their owners (Rain has been attacked 6 times by large dogs when I was on my little 3 wheeled electric scooter, and in a previous occupation I was mauled by a large dog when I was abled bodied and spent time in the hospital from those bites) and figuring out if it was worth the $5o left in classes. My answer was NO.

I emailed Jeff to let him know that though I enjoyed him as our instructor I was dropping out because this particular class wasn't for us....these were my issues and my issues only, no one elses. I suggested that he have an agility class for tiny dogs and we surely would return for that.

Whisp is much too precious to me to risk her life like that and I can now live with my decision.



4 July 2007 Whisp’s Service Dog training has been going well but it is obvious at this point in her life that she lacks the “sparkle in her eye” that both Cally and Rain have when working. I have decided that Whisp will be going back into agility classes at a different training center to keep her body and mind busy. Maybe in a year or two Whisp will want to be a Service Dog and all that that entails....

20 July 2007 Whisp began Agility last night at a different, well established dog training center in a neighboring suburb. We had so much fun! The training room is HUGE!! Whisp did very well and we are looking forward to next weeks class.

30 August 2007 Whisp graduated from beginning Agility last night. She just loves the equipment. By graduation night Whisp was working off leash better than on leash. Off leash she is able to do the pole weaves (with guides in place), the A Frame, Dog Walk, Tunnel and Jumps. She doesn't like the Tire as it is very wide and to get it low enough for her to jump thru the PVC pipe at the base of the stand is added to the width. She is getting used to the Teeter and her body weight making it lower and she rides it to the ground before exiting. In no time she will be doing this piece of equipment like a pro! We now have one week off before the next block of lessons begin. Whisp and I will be there!

9 March 2008 It's been a while since I added to Whispy's blog. Whispy went on with Agility at the training school where she took Agility 2...we repeated it to make sure we had a solid foundation. We were to graduate near the end of January but in looking over the next Agility class, Agility 3, it was too unstructured for me. I went in search of another training school and located one that began the last night of our Agility 2 class. We skipped graduation and began classes with the new training school.

This new training school is wonderful. We are taking classes at the livestock arena at the Uof M, running on deep wet sawdust. Because the space is so large, whole courses can be set up so we began to really learn sequencing. Whispy has truly blossomed in this new venue. At the new training school we began with their Agility 1, boy am I glad! For the first time I can really zoom my wheelchair and Whispy can run full out. We graduated from Agility 1 last Thursday and were promoted to Agility 2. Promotion is not a given, it has to be earned so I am so happy that Whispy and I are doing this well.

Monday 10 March 2008 we begin Agility 2!! And Whispy also passed her AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test :)