Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A SOFT WHISPER


(Kamelrose WhisperLily, baby "Whisp" photo taken October 2006 when she was 5 months old)

There was heart ache and tears when I learned that the litter of Chihuahua puppies I anxiously awaited were still born. My "special" puppy, I thought and had hoped for was in that litter..."Maggie's" litter that would never be.

"Judy" was expecting a litter shortly after "Maggie" and I waited - daring to hope that the litter would be born alive and that there would be a smooth coat female just for me.


(Dam: Kamelrose Judy in Disguise "Judy" with her female puppies right after they were born 27 May 2006: one smooth coat white puppy with red sable; one long coat red sable with white markings; and one fawn with white markings. Sire: Tinypaw's K'Rose Buckaroo "Bucky".)

27May2006, "Judy" gave birth to three females. The breeder, Kim Kincaid of Kamelrose Chihuahuas, and I had been in touch since she had placed me on the puppy waiting list for a pup from "Maggie's" litter and she sent me photos of "Judy's" litter and I kept my heart from choosing a puppy from the litter.

All puppies are cute and it would have been oh so easy for me to fall in love with a specific puppy. Kim was going to be keeping any that were show prospects. I was one of several on the waiting list. I kept my fingers crossed that one of them would be a smooth coat. Kim thought that there were going to be at least one smooth coat in "Judy's" litter.


(Kamelrose WhisperLily "Whisp", fawn with white markings female smooth coat tiny Chihuahua. Photo taken 13 June 2006)


After a couple weeks of waiting Kim let me know that the little tiny fawn with white was to be mine if I wanted her, as she was a smooth coat and was tiny, far too small for Kim to show. Wanted her ?!? What a silly question. Of course I wanted her. Now I let my heart get involved and I had decided that if my little Chihuahua puppy wanted to be a long coat instead of a smooth coat it was okay with me...she could grow yak fur and I would still want her and love her. If she grew yak fur I could shave it off for the summer and let her grow it back for winter warmth. This was going to be my "special" puppy and I would love her no matter what kind of fur she ended up having.

CallaLily, my fawn with white smooth coat female Chihuahua in house Service Dog is now 8 years old and I was looking forward to her helping me raise yet another Service Dog as she has such wonderful retrieving skills. She raised my mobility Service Dog, a Doberman named Rain, teaching her the finer points of retrieving, the rules of the house and many of my vocabulary words. It is a big help to have assistance with a new puppy - especially when the helper is a dog too.

I am not new to Chihuahuas and I know that though they may be small they are also smart, feisty, bold and brave. This new puppy I named WhisperLily after a tiny lavender wild flower, as my Chihuahuas are named for Lilies. This "special" puppy also proudly carries the name of her breeder in her registered name Kamelrose WhisperLily.

This was how Whisper came into my life.